Seven layer salad is not just salads with seven layers, it is an American dish that has a colorful combination of seven layers of vegetables as the name implies.
Seven layers salad consists of the following ingredients: Tomatoes, sweet peas, onions, cucumbers, iceberg lettuce, hard-boiled eggs, bacon pieces, and sharp cheddar cheese. Sour cream can be added to it or a mayonnaise-based dressing to make it more delicious.
Seven layers of salad are made in a large glass flat bowl so that the layers can be noticed. It looks really attractive and tastes great and creamy. This dish can be made ahead and trust me it will put a smile on everyone’s face. Apart from being attractive, it is packed with lots of beneficial health benefits you shouldn’t miss.
Preparation time: 15 minutes Cook time: 15 minutes Total time: 30 minutes Serving: 12 Yields: 12 servings
Read also: Red Potatoes Salad: Best Way To Prepare
Ingredients For Seven Layer Salad
- 5 ounces of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 pound of bacon
- 1 medium head of iceberg lettuce, well rinsed, dried, and chopped
- 5 hard-boiled eggs, then slice
- 5 pieces of fresh tomatoes, diced
- 5 ounces of frozen sweet peas
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 big cucumber
- 1 tablespoon of sugar to taste
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 11/4 cup of mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon of fresh parsley
Since you now know the ingredients needed for this recipe, here is a step-by-step guide on how this wonderful salad is being prepared.
Read also: Vegan Lunch Ideas
Method Of Preparation Of Seven Layer Salad
- Add your bacon to a large, deep skillet. cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Then crumble and set it aside.
- In your large glass flat bowl, place your chopped iceberg lettuce inside the bowl then top with a layer of red sliced onions, red bell peppers, sweet peas, boiled eggs, shredded cheddar cheese, bacon, Sliced cucumber, fresh sliced tomatoes, green bell pepper.
- Start preparing your dressing by whisking together the mayonnaise, a tablespoon of sugar to taste, cheese.
- Drizzle over salad and refrigerate until chilled then serve chilled.
- Store leftover in the fridge. Then serve with the remaining chopped bacon and chopped green onions.
Why You Should Eat Seven-Layer Salad
Seven-layer salad is loaded with multiple nutritional benefits that you shouldn’t miss out on. Let’s look at some of the superb benefits of eating seven layers salad.
- Do you know that eating a seven-layer salad can help prevent disease, healthy weight, and youthful energy?
- Consuming a seven-layer salad is a good advantage cause vegetables are a natural source of fiber and consuming enough fiber each day has several health advantages such as controlling blood sugar levels.
- Fresh vegetables are essential to our good health and wellbeing isn’t a new thing, it lowers blood pressure, reduces the risk of heart disease, and stroke, and also prevent some types of cancer.
- Seven-layer salad is loaded with vitamins and minerals, which helps increase the level of powerful antioxidants in your blood.
- Eating seven layers salads can help build strong bones.
- Carotenoids found in the green leaves such as lettuce help the eyes to adjust from bright to dark, protecting the eyes from the formation of free radicals.
- Lettuce in your seven-layer salads contains nutrients that help protect the heart’s muscle, fiber, and folate.
- Do you know that consuming seven-layer salads can help improve your skin cause of the high levels of water found in the veggies which improve hydration in your body?
Read also: Blackened Chicken: Easy And Delicious
Frequently Asked Questions
How Long Can I Refrigerate a Seven-Layer Salad?
Your seven-layer salad can be stored in a fridge for at least 4 hours.
How To Prevent The Seven-Layer Salad From Being Soggy
When preparing your seven-layer salad make sure that all your veggies are dried, especially your lettuce. And seal the top of your seven-layer salad with the creamy dressing to make sure that everything remains fresh.
Can It Be Served Alone?
Yes, seven-layer salad can be served alone but you can also serve it with crockpot whole chicken, honey garlic chicken wings, grilled chicken, and instant pot ribs.
Vitamin A: 1128IU / Protein: 13g / Fiber: 3g Calcium: 169mg / Vitamin C: 15mg / Sugar: 6g Iron: 1mg / Calories: 383 / Carbohydrates: 9g Cholesterol: 169mg / Sodium: 587mg Saturated Fat: 11g / Potassium: 306mg / Fat: 33g.
Read also: Gluten-Free Breakfast: 5 Easy Ideas
Seven-layer salad is an American dish that is packed with full nutrients, very delicious, mouth-watering, and very simple, easy to make. It can be made ahead of time and served in the fridge. After knowing the health benefits of this salad it will be better to make it at home where you can prepare it well for a better nutritional value.
It is very fast to make and simple if you follow the recipe above step by step. Yummy seven layers salad can be kept overnight as far as you dried your veggies, especially your lettuce before using. Try this wonderful recipe and you will love it. You can as well drop feedback in the comments section.