Best Texas caviar recipe is a very colorful salad that is extremely attractive at sight and can have everyone wanting to have a taste of it. Texas caviar is made with colorful veggies, black-eyed peas, and a vinaigrette dressing.
Texas caviar recipe is also known as cowboy caviar and this recipe was invented in Texas and has spread all over the US now. It is very healthy, easy to prepare, tastes great with sweet flavors. It can make a nice side dish.
Texas caviar recipe is a great recipe you should try, the time, is simple, the flavor is loveable. Continue to read down to know how to prepare this delicious, mouth-watery recipe.
Why is Texas Caviar Called Cowboy Caviar?
Texas caviar is also called cowboy caviar, it was created in the US of Texas in 1940 by a woman named Helen Corbitt. She first served this caviar at a country club on new years eve. Then she later served it at a Texas hotel, it was dubbed Texas caviar. The name Texas caviar was given as a humorous comparison to true caviar.
Preparation time: 15 minutes Cook time: 0minutes Serving: 8 servings
- 214 ounces of black-eyed peas, canned or cooked
- 14 ounces Black beans, canned or cooked
- 1/2 cup Cilantro, chopped
- 1 Red bell pepper
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 3 Green onions
- Jalapeno pepper
- 115 ounces of canned Corn
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
Potassium: 71.0mg / Cholesterol: 0.0mg Calories: 163.8 / Protein: 7.2g Sugars: 4.1g / Dietary fiber: 5.4g Sodium: 301.9mg / Saturated fat: 0.7g Total carbohydrates: 22.3g
Method Of Preparation
Step 1: Firstly, drain and rinse your bean and corn with distilled water.
Step 2: Chop your cilantro, remove the seed of your jalapeno pepper then dice it, chop your cherry tomatoes, Slice your green onions, and dice your bell pepper.
Step 3: In a big bowl, add your veggies and beans inside the bowl. Mix well with the kosher salt.
Step 4: For your dressing, using a bowl whisk together your sugar, garlic powder, vinegar, and cumin with proper measurement. Continue whisking in your olive oil.
Step 5: Pour the made dressing over the vegetables and mix well to combine
Step 6: Serve immediately, sprinkle with scallions and serve with tortilla chips or refrigerate until you are ready to serve.
- You can replace frozen corn in place of canned corn, just any of your choice is okay for this recipe.
- Texas caviar is best enjoyed when cold because when refrigerated all the ingredients have time to soak in the olive dressing. If you want to enjoy this Texas caviar refrigerate for about 4 hours before serving to enjoy it to the fullest.
How To Serve Texas Caviar
You can serve your Texas caviar in different ways like:
With tortilla chips, with bake or grill fish, with tacos, served by itself as a side, like a bean salad, with burgers, with garlic butter shrimps or grilled shrimps.
How To Cook Your Canned Black-eyed Peas
If you are not using a canned black-eyed pea, you can as well cook yours at home just by following the procedure below;
- In a pot, add 2 cups of water, 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/2 pound of your dried black eyes peas, and 2 cups of vegetable broth.
- Put to a boil for about 40 minutes until they get tender, then drain the water away from the beans.
Are Black Eyed-peas Really Peas?
Black eyed-peas are not really peas but they are beans. They are part of the family with black beans and chickpeas.
How Long Can It Be Stored?
You can store your Texas caviar in a fridge for like a week and it will still be good for consumption.
Can I Freeze It Totally?
Of course, your Texas caviar can be frozen for up to some months on an airtight container. till when you are ready to eat.
Healthy Benefits Of Eating Cowboy Caviar
Texas caviar is so loaded with much nutritional value that is needed for your body per day. All the veggies and beans used in them are healthy and super nutritious. Some benefits are;
- Texas caviar is a very great source of fiber, from the beans in it. As you all know that fiber maintains bowel health, lowers cholesterol levels, helps in blood sugar levels control, normalizes bowel movement, and other health benefits.
- This wonderful caviar is loaded with protein which helps your body fight off infections and illness, it also helps keep your cells healthy, even creating new cells. Protein helps fuel your energy and carry oxygen throughout your body in your blood and many other benefits.
- It has lower calories which is a good deal for your health
- This caviar is high in potassium which is one of the most important minerals your body needs. Potassium helps regulate fluid balance, nerve signals, and muscle contractions. It also helps reduce blood pressure when taken in much quantity and has lots more benefits.
- It is also a good source of sodium which your body needs to maintain fluid levels. It is necessary for the health of your liver, kidneys, and heart and other superb benefits
Texas caviar also known as cowboy caviar is a very colorful salad, mouth-watering, attractively packed with lots of flavors. This recipe is super healthy, simple to make with few ingredients, no waste of time, and tastes very delicious. It is a recipe that everyone should try. Texas caviar can be stored in the fridge for up to a week. This recipe tastes better when fridge for about four hours before eating. It can be as a side dish or eaten on its own, but for sure I can say it taste spectacular with tortilla chips.