In this article, we are making frog eye salad recipe. Frog eye salad recipe is a pasta salad creamy which is a tasty and super yummy salad. Frog eye salad made with pineapple, coconut, acini de Pepe, bananas, marshmallows, Pepe, and mandarin oranges.
Frog eye salad is super old school but at times old school recipes still taste superb. For those that don’t know about frog eye salad, it is not made with frog though the name at times is funny. I don’t know who came up with the name but the name is just weird.
The traditional version of frog eye salad uses a container of thawed cool whip, but you can use freshly whipped cream instead and this can make a big difference in your recipe.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Refrigeration time: 2 hours
Total time: 2 hours, 25 minutes.
Read Also: Egg Foo Young Recipe: Easy and Simple
Equipment Used For Frog Egg Salad
- Rubber scraper
- Large pot
- Liquid measuring cup
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Wooden mixing spoon
- Medium saucepan
- Stand mixer or handheld mixer
- Mixing bowl
Why Is It Called A Frog Eye Salad?
They aren’t necessarily a documented story I know but frog eye salad is named after the acini de Pepe pasta because they look like a tiny little frog eye inside the salad.
What is In Frog Eye Salad
Frog eye salad is made with acini de Pepe pasta, mandarin orange, pineapple, whipped topping, egg custard, and whipped topping. It’s topped with marshmallows or a coconut.
Read Also: Raspberry Sauce Recipe
What Do You Substitute For Acini Di Pepe Pasta?
If you can’t find acini di pepe pasta, you can substitute it with pasta works great in frog eye salad as well.
Can I Make This Frog Eye Salad Healthier?
Frog eye salad is not necessarily a healthy salad though but below are a few ideas on how to make it more healthy for you.
- When choosing your canned fruits, make sure the fruit is canned in juice, not in syrup
- You can try coconut sugar instead of using white sugar, it adds more flavor to this salad.
- You can dress this recipe up with some drained maraschino cherries.
- In this recipe, you can use a container of cool whip and skip whipping up fresh whipped cream.
How Do You Make Acini Di Pepe Pasta?
- Bring your water to a boil, when your water reaches a boil, add your acini de Pepe, lower the heat, and start timing.
- For salads cook for up to 6 minutes
- To make it tender to the bite for soups cook 6 minutes
- And to make it tender or softer in soups cook for 8 minutes.
Read Also: Fruit Dip Recipe
- 10 ounces of pineapple, crushed, juice reserved and drained
- 1 banana, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 20 ounces of can pineapple tidbits, drained and juice reserved
- 1 cup of reserved pineapple juice
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 cup of powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup of shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup of acini de Pepe noodles
- 15 ounces of mandarin oranges, canned and drained
Method Of Preparation
Step 1: Drain your pineapple cans and reserve the juice. Reserve the pineapple fruit in the fridge for later usage
Step 2: Combine your pineapple juice, egg yolk, cornstarch, salt, and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk until smooth.
Step 3: Cook your mixtures until it comes to a low boil and thickens slightly, then remove from heat and keep it aside to cool.
Step 4: Cook your acini de Pepe noodles according to the instructions on the pack then drain and allow cool.
Step 5: Then combine the cooked acini de Pepe and the thickened sauce in Tupperware. Refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.
Step 6: When your acini de Pepe mixture has chilled add it to a large bowl with the mandarin oranges, marshmallows, bananas, coconut, and pineapple.
Step 7: Beat the cream and sugar together in a separate bowl until stiff peaks. Fold fresh whipped cream into the acini de Pepe mixture.
Step 8: Serve your frog eye salad immediately or refrigerate, then enjoy.
What To Serve With Frog Eye Salad
This salad can be paired perfectly with other side dishes like:
- Sweet potato casserole
- Crockpot spare ribs
- Grilled chicken
- Lemon chicken
- roasted vegetables
- brussels sprouts
- mashed potatoes. It is a delicious salad that can easily be passed as a dessert. It is truly a unique pasta salad.
How To Store Frog Eye Salad
You can store your frog eye salad in a fridge but before storing keep it out for about 2 hours. Then cover and keep in your fridge for up to 2 to 3 days.
Read Also: Blue Cheese Dressing: Creamy and Easy
Can I Freeze Frog Eye Salad?
Actually, this recipe can’t be frozen so please don’t freeze it at all.
Frog eye salad is a pasta salad that is creamy, tasty, and delicious. It is simple to make by following this recipe step by step. It is made with pineapple, banana, corn starch, acini de Pepe noodles, heavy whipping cream, and other ingredients listed in this recipe.
It can be stored in the freeze for about two to three days. It can be eaten alone and as well served as a side dish. This salad is called frog eye salad cause of the acini de Pepe noodles which look like a frog eye inside the salad.