Mountain House meals are already cooked meals well packed and they are very delicious and nutritious meals. They are a very healthy choice of food to choose from.
In this article, I’m talking about meat sauce from Mountain House although they have other meals. This is their regular-sized pouch, which is 2 points. 5 servings is a double check that makes sure I’m not lying to you two point five servings.
This one honestly is probably one of my all-time favorites. It’s not really like what you would think of as lasagna, but I love it.
It’s not I mean it’s more of pasta really that tastes like lasagna, but I am a huge fan of it this one, you know, is probably one of my go-to ones as far as thrown in like my hunting pack or going backpacking.
Best Mountian House Meals
This one’s pretty much always included. So I love this one. Let me give you some details about it. It’s four-point eight ounces. So that gives you an idea of what the pack weights going to be. Let me give you the dimensions real quick.
This is nine and a half by just about eight and then it’s probably Flip it over. Please do tell from the bottom. It’s about two inches really if you smash this down and you can smash this down a little bit.
Maybe shake some of that and distribute it sometimes it’s not bad to leave them a little off-centered like that or a little offset because then what you do is you can stack the other one in the opposite direction this way they stack in your pack pretty well.
As I said, this is one of my favorites. It’s got 14 grams of protein. Let me just give you I’ll give you the nutritional facts real quick here so you can see, you can look at them a little bit more thoroughly.
Read also: Whole30 Crockpot Freezer Meals in 90 Minutes
We’re just going to briefly go over it. So it’s two-point-five servings. It’s 240 calories per serving and proteins 14 grams, Cholesterol 30 milligrams, so fat 8 grams carbohydrates 27 grams.
So that’s some of it if you want to read the ingredients you can read through that as I say down there does contain wheat egg milk and soy, so if that’s something you’re allergic to something to pay attention to but I’m a huge fan of the mountain house meals products, in general, they’re really easy to make that’s one of the things I love about them.
Especially if you’re going to throw in your backpack or like for hunting, you know, if you have like a kit like this is something that packs up in a nice little kit and that there’s a smaller fuel tank that fits inside there.
Read also: My Metabolic Meals Review
Method of Preparation
- And so it’s a small little pack and I have water I can boil it right up and cook it so all you’re going to do with this and we’ll open it up and do this, but you’ll take the oxygen absorber out and then you’ll carefully add 2 cups of boiling water.
- So I have to give water boiling in this and then we’ll go ahead and have that too and let us stand for eight to nine minutes and that’s pretty much it. It’s worse stirring not pretty good in the beginning just to get it all mixed up.
- If you don’t it’s really not that big a deal you might just get some, you know, a little less consistency in the flavor because some of the seasoning and whatnot will you know, maybe not be distributed as well, but it’s not that big a deal.
- So let’s go ahead and crack this baby open and let’s see what we’ve got here. As I said, there are probably my top three for sure. I like it, you’re going to hear me say that a lot. I’m really honest and I’m really a huge fan of the mountain house stuff. I think just in general and what you get and how easy it is to make I’m a fan.
- So that’s your oxygen but make sure you take that out. I have a lot that’s in before you know, I don’t know if it’d kill you probably wouldn’t want to be exposed to it too much but just remember to take that out and throw it away and get rid of it. So let’s go ahead and look.
- See, what you can see it’s got quite a bit of seasoning in there. And then that’s going to you know, as you have the hot water. So let’s go ahead and get this going here and we’ll get it ready. So we’re going to go ahead and boil 2 cups. Just make sure that is right.
- Yep, two cups of water or 16 ounces of water in our pot here, and I’m going to go ahead and put a towel down. What’s a good do I tend to make a mess when the water gets boiling here? So we’re going to go ahead and lay that down just mitigate some of that so we’ll go ahead and go water go in first and then dumped that and you can see that.
- So two cups of water in this particular pot and this is a nice thing about something like this. This is the Optimus Crux light if anybody’s curious It’s a nice little kit with the fuels not included but everything else is included if you get the kit that has the as little pot and lid and you know It’s a great little kid. I really enjoy it. So, okay. Let’s get this fired up here. We’ll get our fuel going.
- Hopefully, not out of you will probably get close and get our fuel going in a pot on there. Go ahead and put the lid on that will help boil quicker also have some splashing everywhere. So we’ll go ahead and get that going as soon as that’s ready.
- We’ll come back here and show you what everything looks like. Okay, so our water is literally about done you’ll hear it really sound like it’s boiling in just a second.
- We’re starting to get a little bit of a roll now. I don’t know if you technically need to boil. I always think it’s a good idea just in case there is.
- You know, I don’t know that there could be anything growing in there. But you just never know. I was like this or boiling water into it, but you know just because if there are some bacteria for some reason it would kill it but there shouldn’t be any issue the cool thing about Mountain House is.
- They have a 10-year shelf life used to be seven years but was recently extended to 10 years what they say is they’ve actually tried them that Arthur is Thirty years old and the only thing you’ll really notice is there shouldn’t be any bacterial problems.
- The only thing you’d really notice is a little bit maybe a little less flavor. It just made me lose some of its potency in that sense.
- But other than that, it should be good for the cans if you buy it in a can the number 10 cans which Muse for food storage and you can also use these for food storage. But if you decide to do a can instead, for example, they have a 30-year shelf life.
- Alright, looks like we are boiling so I’m going to go ahead and shut that off and but yeah anyway, so you can know, you can get different shelf lives for these things as far as if you want the tent number 10 can if you want to do more of a food storage approach or these which is technically 10 years, but they just say you’ll lose some of the flavors all but so, in reality, they can probably last up to 30 years.
- It’s just kind of up to you and your preference. I would probably trust it. That’s just me so but it’s probably good practice at the Boil the water. If you didn’t it’s probably not the end of you know, that big a deal especially, you know, as long as it’s not past that 10-year Point shouldn’t be an issue but I like to boil it just because you know it obviously adds more flavor. It’s going to have it’s going to help soak through a little quicker and that rehydrate a little bit quicker so that you can enjoy it a little faster.
- So, okay. Let’s go ahead and dump this in and then I’ll Stir It Up and show you kind of what looks like with everything Stir It Up, Just drop it off attached. Sometimes you gotta watch these handles, you know, they get a little hot even though I got a little rubber coat coating on.
- So we’re going to go ahead and dump that in just watch your hands. You don’t like that and just dump it on my finger. It’s not too bad though, but you know get all that in there and I don’t know that it’s imperative that you still right away.
- You know, what I like to do. You can kind of see what it looks like with some water and you can see some of that going on but I like to Stir It Up a little bit.
- What time is it Mountain the field? I don’t even have a spoon on me and you can literally almost drink it if you want to do a little more water. If you want to do a little less water. That’s cool too. Not a big deal.
- So mix that up real good and I’ll show you what it looks like in here just make sure it won’t spill and that kind of looks right there.
- So we’ll seal that up and let it sit for Just double check out will save is a 10 missing and you know, that’s a variable it’s kind of if you’ve got some experience with these and you know, what you like don’t change it, you know eight to nine minutes is recommended time. But if you know, I like it a little harder.
- Let It Go five minutes or whatever, you know, if you want to go 20 minutes you Pilot at 20 minutes. That’s not a big deal. So we’ll let that sit.
- The other thing you can do is you can grab it. You just got to be careful because it’s usually pretty hot, but you can kind of mix it up like this by squeezing the bag. As I said, that’s pretty hot. I can only do that for a few. Cancel forgets a little too hot for me.
- We’ll come to check this out here in a minute and we’ll give you know, the best video taste test that I can and try to describe it to you as the best.
- I can like I said, you know, I’m a little biased towards this flavor just because I already love it. So that’s just me. You may not if you’re not into like red sauces and things like that, which normally honestly, I’ve really liked the lasagna so we’ll come to check it out here and eight to nine minutes.
- All right. We’ve let that sit for about eight to nine. In it. So we’re going to go ahead and pop it open and see what we’ve got. We’ll go ahead and what we’ll do is we’ll end up putting it that’s the spoon a sister with earlier, but we’ll go ahead and dump it into a bowl so you can see what it looks like in a bowl, which I’ll show you in the bag real quick.
- So, you know some of that water that was in there earlier is definitely set up a little bit now. As I said, you know the thing with like the Mountain House Mills is they may not look pretty but you actually to be able to get that quick Mill.
- I think they’re really good. I haven’t really had one that I didn’t like that much the other side I definitely like better than others so this is one of my top phases our favorites of all time so far, you know, I know they’ve got some new flavors coming out in here, but we’ll see.
- I’ll give this a try. You can see it’s pretty hot, you know, there’s some actual just to show you there’s you know, a little bit of tomato Chunk in there. I’m not honestly there’s one there.
- I’m not obviously a very big tomato guy but I don’t mind these they’re small enough that they don’t bug me and Lasagna what you think is, you know, it’s all like a chunk of lasagna. It’s more of actual pasta.
- So yeah, you got these noodles right here and you know, that’s it. So there are similar to the noodles you’d get and regular lasagna but you know, maybe a little different so that’s cool a little bit. Let’s see if I can do this without burning myself. All right, give it a try.
Read also: Easy Camping Meals for Large Groups
How does Mountain House Meals Taste like?
Okay, that’s actually like I said, it’s really good and it’s actually got cheese in it. So one thing you’ll notice is you’re taking a bite. It’ll kind of be a little stringy cuz it’s just got melted cheese in it, which is really good. That’s my little guy.
But anyway, so here’s the pasta. I like it you know, it’s not really spaghetti. I don’t know if that’s even upward but it So, you know, it’s red sauce a little bit almost like that. It’s probably almost consistent. Come on how much water you put it’s almost like a Chili as far as the consistency goes, but it’s not spicy at all.
It’s well at least not in a sense of like chili or anything like that from the sense of Italian red sauce lasagna, maybe a little bit but to me, it’s not spicy at all.
So I really enjoy it. As I said, this is probably my favorite one, especially like out in the cold. If you don’t think If it’s you know the possibility that this red sauce is don’t do for you and that may be the case.
I understand that but you know, if you’re open-minded give it a try and I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. I really like it. If you want to buy a larger amount you can or you can mix them up and buy different flavors and get a little variety of everything. But you know for what it is. As in a quick meal. I think it’s great.
Mountain house meals are a very healthy, delicious, and well-packaged food that you shouldn’t miss eating. They taste incredibly great and are super fast and easy to prepare, just with hot water your meal is ready for consumption. They are packed with essential nutrition just for you, very healthy and alright for you.