What are high vitamin D foods? What is vitamin D? What are the benefits of taking vitamin D foods? Am sure all these questions might come to your mind and you want to know.
In this articles we are going into every details about vitamin D foods, their sources, healthy benefits, and even it’s importance on your immune system so read on to know more.
What Are High Vitamin D Foods?
Before we get to know about high vitamin D foods, let us know what is vitamin D. Vitamin D is a not a vitamin but a prohormone, or precursor of a hormone. It is essential for a healthy bones, healthy teeth, even helps to protect against a range of diseases and conditions
Vitamin D are nutrients that the body cannot create so you must consume them from a diet. Vitamin D helps the body absorbs calcium.
High vitamin D foods are foods that are high in vitamin D. The best way to help your body produce enough vitamin D is getting in contact with early morning sunlight that is why it is referred to as “sunshine vitamins”. But you can as well boost your vitamin D through certain supplements and even foods. High vitamin D foods includes:
- Red meat
- Fortified yogurt
- Beef liver
- Fatty fish such as mackerel, tuna, and salmon
- Fortified cereals and juices
- Egg yolks
Healthy Benefits of Vitamin D
- Vitamin D helps in weight loss, if you want to loose weight you should always add vitamin D supplements to their diets everyday because study shows that people taking vitamin D supplements tends to loss more weight because vitamin D has appetite-suppressing effects.
- Vitamin D are important to your body because it helps regulate the amount of calcium and phosphate in your body. Calcium and phosphate helps to keep your teeth, muscles, bones healthy. Lack of vitamin D may cause conditions such as rickets in children and bone pains such as Osteomalacia in adults.
- Vitamin D helps improve maternal vitamin D status and may also reduce the risk of pre-eclampsia, preterm birth, low birthrate during pregnancy. So pregnant women should take balanced diet which contains all the necessary vitamins for their baby.
- And also vitamin D might help in reducing depression, Study has showed that vitamin D might play a very important role in regulating mood and warding off depression. Further study shows that people who are depressed gets better improvements when vitamin D is administered to them.
- Do you know that vitamin D helps to fight diseases, reduces the chance of developing heart disease.
- Vitamin D contributes to normal blood calcium levels.
- Vitamin D also plays a role in the process of cell division.
- It also helps the immune system function very well.
Read also: Sauteed Potatoes: Easy and Crispy
Foods Rich in Vitamin D
- Mushrooms: Mushrooms contains vitamin D, and they have the ability to increase vitamin D amounts due to UV -light or their exposure to sunlight. They are the only source of vitamin D producing aisle and also one of the few non-fortified sources.
- Egg yolks: Egg yolks are also rich in vitamin D and they are natural sources of vitamin D, supplying your body with about 5% TO 10% of your daily dose of vitamin D.
- Cod liver oil: And also cod ls also rich in vitamin D, and they help prevent rickets in children and other vitamin D deficiency conditions. Cod liver oil is very rich in vitamin D and they also helps to repair damaged teeth, skin, nails, and even relieve joint stiffness associated with arthritis.
- Fortified Foods: Fortified foods are also rich in vitamin D, fortified foods are food that micronutrients have been added to. Examples are: Cereal, cow’s milk, oatmeal, orange juice, and soy milk.
- Canned tuna: Do you know that canned tuna are also rich in vitamin D? Canned tuna is a very good source of vitamin D and it contains 50% of your daily requirements of vitamin D.
- Sardines: Sardines are one of the richest source of vitamin D, very healthy and also perfect.
- Salmons: Salmons also are rich in vitamin D, it is a very popular fatty fish that everyone loves.
What Vitamin D Does to Your Immune system
First of all let us know about immune system, immune system helps defends your body from the unfamiliar, invading micro-organism, promoting protective immunity while maintaining tolerance to self.
Vitamin D can modulate the innate and adaptive immune responses. The classical actions of vitamin D are to promote calcium homeostasis and to promote bone health.
Vitamin D has been used to treat infections unknowingly such as tuberculosis before the advert of effective antibiotics.
Vitamin D has important functions beyond those calcium and bone homeostasis which include modulation of the innate and adaptive immune responses
Vitamin D is very essential to your body, it has important roles it’s classic effects on calcium and bone homeostasis. Vitamin D also known as sunshine vitamins helps in weight loss, helps fight diseases, builds strong and healthy bones and teeth. Apart from these they have many other healthy benefits. Vitamin D can be gotten from early morning sun that is why it is called sunshine vitamins.