Sweet and sour pork is a Chinese stir fry which is very juicy, and delicious. This recipe is made with pork tenderloin, bell peppers, pineapple, and onions.
Coated pieces of meat are deep-fried until golden and crunchy, then tossed in a vibrant sauce that packs a balance of sweet and tart flavors.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
Yields: 6 servings
Read also: Taco Dip Recipe: Simple and Easy
Ingredients For Sweet And Sour Pork
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon of sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 3 cups of vegetable oil, for frying
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup of cornstarch
- 11/2 pound pork tenderloin, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper, divided
- 1 cup of white onions, 3/4 inch sized chopped into pieces
- 1 cup pineapple chunks, 3/4 inch sized pieces
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped into 3/4 inch size
- 1/2 teaspoon of sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons green onion, sliced
Sweet And Sour Sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons of tomato paste
Read also: Pickling Spice Recipe
Method Of Preparation For Sweet And Sour Pork
Step 1: Firstly, combine your sweet and sour sauce ingredients, rice vinegar, soy sauce, tomato paste, and honey into a medium-sized bowl and set aside.
Step 2: In another small bowl combine your cornstarch and water.
Step 3: Season your pork with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper to taste.
Step 4: In a bigger bowl mix your flour and 1/4 cup cornstarch.
Step 5: In different bigger bowls whisk your eggs.
Step 6: Coat each piece of pork with the flour mixture, then dip in the whisked egg, then a final coat in the flour mixture again.
Step 7: In a medium-size pan, heat 2 cups of your vegetable oil over medium heat. Allow the oil to reach 350 degrees F, add the battered pork, and fry until golden brown and pork is cooked through about 5 to 7 minutes. You can divide your pork into 2-3 batches.
Step 8: Transfer your fried pork to a sheet pan and drain on paper towels, as you fry the next batch.
Step 9: Then discard the oil from the wok and carefully wipe the inside of the pan with a paper towel to make it clean.
Step 10: Heat wok over medium-high heat and add in your 1 tablespoon of oil.
Step 11: Once the oil is hot add in your onions, and garlic, stir fry for about 30 seconds
Step 12: Then add in your green and red bell peppers and stir-fry for another 1 minute. Add in the pineapple and stir-fry for more than 1 minute.
Step 13: Add your pork and the sweet and sour sauce, Stir well to combine, and allow the sauce to come to a boil
Step 14: Stir in your cornstarch slurry and then add it to the pan, continue stirring constantly until the sauce thickens, for about 60 seconds. Mix the ingredients with the sauce to coat the pork.
Step 15: Your sweet and sour pork is read, garnished with sesame seeds, and green onions, and served over a bowl of rice. Enjoy to the fullest.
- Double fry definitely stays crispy for longer once sauced, but for an express version, just do a single fry at least one minute extra until it gets golden brown.
- For the best flavors in this recipe, use a Micro plane so its grated is really fine and becomes juicy and wet.
- The cornstarch is a thickening agent in this recipe combined with water to make a slurry. This is added at the very end of the cooking, the sauce to give it richness and a glossy appearance which is very mouthwatering. The thickness then sticks and clings to the pieces of pork, this recipe is just super yummy.
Read also: 3 Ingredients Recipes: Easy And Delicious
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is The Best Pork For Sweet And Sour Pork?
- Pork shoulder: Pork shoulder is a slow cooking cut to break down tough connective tissue. Without marinade in this part of pork, it will be tough and chewy.
- Pork loin: This part of the pork brings up the rear because it is lean like tenderloin, but it won’t be quite as tender and is even drier and harder than tenderloin if you overcook.
- Pork tenderloin: This part of the pork is a very tender, lean cut of pork with a milder flavor. It could be used but be aware it is more prone to drying out from overcooking in pursuit of crispy pork.
- Pork leg: When it comes to pork leg, this is an excellent option for your sweet and sour pork also.
- Pork scotch roast or steaks: This part of the pork is also known as pork collar or pork
How Do You Keep Stir Fry Pork Tender?
- Vegetable oil: Add some additional fat to prevent the pork from drying out, especially for a leaner cut like tenderloin.
- Cornstarch: This creates a coating around the pork and seal in juices and protects the pork from drying.
- Water: Add in water to pork to give it a juicier texture.
- Sesame oil: This is optional nutty flavoring, depending upon your dish.
What Can Be Served With Sweet And Sour Sauce
Sweet and sour pork can be served with fried rice or plain rice.
Is It As Good As Deep-fried?
It isn’t, even if you try as many ways you can it can’t be replicated exactly.
Can Sweet And Sour Pork Be Refrigerated?
Yes, sweet and sour pork can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container which can last for three to four days in the refrigerator.
Read also: Texas Caviar Recipe
Sweet and sour pork is Chinese cuisine, which is very juicy, creamy, and super delicious. It is packed with so much sweetness. You can make this delicious meal at home by following this recipe step by step. This creamy, juicy Sweet and sour pork can be served with fried rice or even plain white rice.