In this recipe, we are making a cheese sauce for broccoli. Cheese sauce for broccoli tastes so delicious, it is made out of butter, whole milk, and then seasoned with tangy sharp cheddar cheese and also parmesan. This combination works magic on any vegetable.
One thing I like about this cheese sauce for broccoli is that it is very simple to make, taste fantastic, and is perfect for all of your food. You can serve your cheese sauce with cauliflower, steamed veggies, even on over-baked potatoes.
Why You Will Love Cheese Sauce For Broccoli
- This recipe is very easy to make, with just a few steps to combine the ingredients to make this delicious cheese sauce.
- The recipe is versatile, isn’t that great? it goes well with anything of your choice either baked potatoes, asparagus, veggies will add flavors to anything good.
- It’s kid-friendly, children tend to love this recipe because it tastes good on anything you add it to.
Ingredients For Cheese Sauce For Broccoli
- Whole milk: This recipe requires whole milk, because of the extra fat in whole milk this recipe gets creamy with a perfect texture that everyone loves.
- Onion powder: Onion powder add wonders to this recipe, it enhances all the flavors and makes this recipe favorable.
- Parmesan cheese: Parmesan cheese gives flavors to this recipe also.
- Salt and pepper: Salt and pepper give a taste to this recipe.
- Cheddar cheese: Any cheddar cheese will work for this recipe but I love sharp cheddar for this recipe.
- Butter: Either unsalted or salted butter goes well for this recipe, but if you go for salted remember to reduce salt for this recipe.
- All-purpose flour: Flour helps to thicken sauces, it’s a good thickener for this recipe.
Variation For This Recipe
This recipe is very delicious with all these ingredients listed here but if you want to make some variations or try some ingredients in this recipe you can change your cheese, you can change your parmesan cheese with Romano, Asiago, or any other hard cheese.
If you love spicy sauce, you can try habaneros on this recipe or you can still make use of a cracked peppercorn, smoky bacon cheddar, garlic herbs, and trust me it will go spicy.
You can as well add some cayenne pepper or freshly minced garlic, try adding a bit of yellow mustard or onion puree to give more flavors to your cheese sauce.
Maybe you can sprinkle bits of bacon on top for serving to make it more attractive.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Serving: 8 servings
Read Also: Fruit Dip Recipe
- 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 11/4 cup of cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoon butter
- Pepper and salt to taste
Method of Preparations
Step 1: Add your butter to melt in a saucepan over medium heat. Then add your flour and whisk very well till the roux becomes thick.
Step 2: Add your whole milk little by little at a time as you whisk, whisk till all the milk is used and your mixture is smooth with no clumps in it.
Step 3: Reduce your heat to a low and add your onions powder and both cheese.
Step 4: Whisk until all the cheese is melted, then remove from heat and stir, you can add your salt and pepper at this point.
Step 5: Serve your cheese sauce immediately over your broccoli.
- For the best result with your cheese, bring it to room temperature before adding it to your saucepan. Grate your cheese, put it in the milk mixture over the lowest heat to prevent separation or overcooking.
- Your whole milk contains fat and fat is what makes the cheese sauce creamy, so you can’t swap this out.
- Adding a bit of salt to this recipe gives your cheese sauce a perfect richness, so don’t avoid using extra salt.
Read also: Bacon Gravy Recipe
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I Reheat My Cheese Sauce For Broccoli?
In a saucepan, pour in your cheese source and heat on low heat to reheat to your desired temperature. If it gets thicker, add a tablespoon of whole milk at a time until it reaches your desired consistency.
How Do I Store My Cheese Sauce?
Your cheese sauce can be stored in an airtight container in a fridge for up to a week. It can be frozen for up to six months before the quality is reduced. It is best used within two to three months of freezing so it will still be flavorful.
Read Also: Taco Dip Recipe: Simple and Easy
Is it Possible to Fix Cheese Sauce That Has Become Grainy?
Yes, of course, remove the saucepan from heat immediately when you see curdling starting to occur. Cool it down as quickly as possible by lowering it into an ice bath or transferring the sauce to a different pan. Then mix in a spoonful or two of lemon juice, white wine, just chooses one of them to use it. Whisk thoroughly to remove the clumps.
Why is My Cheese Not Melting?
For your cheese not to melt, it might be as a result of overcooking. if you add your cheese in cubes instead of grating it, it will take time to melt. And also your milk can also make your cheese not melt, if your milk is curdling due to overcooking the cheese will not have enough time over the heat.
Calcium: 236mg / Calories: 146kcal
Saturated Fat: 7g / Carbohydrates: 3g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g / Cholesterol: 33mg
Iron: 1mg / Vitamin A: 363IU
Sugar: 2g / Vitamin C: 1mg
Potassium: 67mg / Monounsaturated Fat: 2g
Fat: 11g / Trans Fat: 1g
Fiber: 1g / Sodium: 246mg
The cheese sauce is very delicious and everyone loves to make a taste of it. It is packed with so much goodness and rich flavors. Very easy and simple to make with just a few ingredients you are good to go. It can be served in the fridge even frozen for up to 6 months but if you want to still have a spicy taste consume it within 2 to 3 months because the more it stays the more spicy taste it will lose. Why not make your cheese sauce at home today and enjoy it pretty much.