Fried Okra soup is one of the meals eaten in Africa. Fried okra soup can be taken with swallows such as Garri, Semo, and others. Fried okra soup is very simple to prepare and trust me okra is packed with many nutrients which you don’t know some of them.
Just as Ogbono soup and Ewedu soup, okra soup has a viscous texture which makes it taste great. It is usually made with pomo, chicken, fish, goat meat, however, any protein of your choice is very okay.
As you read on in this article you will uncover some secrets, why you should eat okra, how it can help your body with nutrients, and also how to prepare a very delicious fried okra. It is easy to prepare, fast and tastes delicious.
Fried okra is often prepared with green vegetables and fresh okra which makes it looks so attractive and mouthwatering. Before we go deep let us look at the ingredients needed for this delicious fresh soup.
Preparation time: 10 minutes Cook time: 30 minutes Total time: 40 minutes Servings: 4 servings
Ingredients For Fried Okra Soup
- Uziza leaves, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 2teaspoons of salt to taste
- 3-4 cubes of Maggi
- Prepare pomo
- 2 pounds of chicken
- 5 pieces of fresh pepper, ground
- 3 tablespoons of crayfish, ground
- Palm oil
- 1.4 ib Okra, half minced and half sliced
- 3-4 cups of water
Read also: Egg Foo Young Recipe: Easy and Simple
Vitamin B6: 14% of the daily value (DV)
Vitamin C: 26% of the daily value (DV)
Vitamin A: 14% of the daily value (DV)
Vitamin K: 26% of the daily value (DV)
Folate: 15% of the daily value (DV)
Magnesium: 14% of your daily value (DV)
Food chopper: For chopping your okra and onions
Measuring spoons and cups: For measuring your ingredients
Bowls: For washing
Read also: 3 Ingredients Recipes: Easy And Delicious
Now that you know the ingredients needed to make okra soup let us go down to some superb benefits of eating okra soup.
Why you should eat okra soup
Do you know that okra soup is packed with some good health benefits? These fresh green veggies are what you shouldn’t miss out on cause it’s so delicious and as well loaded with some health benefits. Here are some health benefits of okra.
- Do you know that okra contains beneficial antioxidants that may reduce your risk of serious disease, contribute to overall health, and also prevent inflammation?
- These wonderful veggies contain anti-cancer properties which are called lectin which prevents cancer.
- Okra decreases sugar absorption in the digestive tract which helps control sugar levels.
- Okra is rich in so many nutrients and very high in Vitamin C and K.
- Okra is rich in protein which many other fruits and veggies lack.
- Do you know that the thick gel-like substance in okra is called mucilage? Mucilage may help bind to cholesterol in your gut and help lower blood cholesterol levels.
- Okra is also beneficial to pregnant women cause of its folate(Vitamin B9) content which helps prevent neural tube defects.
Method of preparation
Step 1: Wash your chicken and pomo into a pot add salt, Maggi, onions, and pepper, and put to a boil till it’s tender and set aside.
Step 2: Dice your okra into desire shapes, place a pot on low medium heat. Add a small amount of palm oil into the pot and allow it to bleach a little.
Step 3: Add your diced onions into the bleached oil, add Maggi, stock, pomo, chicken and salt then add a little amount of water and put it to a boil.
Step 4: Add your crayfish, pepper, your fresh okra and give it a stir. Allow to steam for 2 minutes.
Step 5: Add your sliced Uziza leave and give it a stir then your delicious okra is ready to be served.
- I like to mince half of the okra in a food chopper to give me this viscous consistency. If you desire more viscosity chop more than half of the okra.
- Boil your meat till it’s tender also season it well for better taste.
- Don’t overcook the veggies, boil it on low to retain its nutrients.
How to serve okra soup
Okra soup is best served with, Amala, Fufu, Garri, sumo, or any other swallow of your choice.
Read also: Blue Cheese Dressing: Creamy and Easy
Okra is a very delicious meal that is very easy to make with few ingredients and not time-consuming. It is loved by many cause of its taste and flavor. Okra is normally taken with any swallow of your choice and can be taken as lunch or dinner.
Aside from all these delicious stories, okra is packed with lots of nutritional benefits and is even very suitable for a pregnant woman. With all the nutritional value okra soup has why not try to make yours at home and enjoy it fresh or add any veggies of your choice to it.