Mushrooms barley soup is packed with chopped veggies, and tender pearl barley makes this recipe satisfying and super yummy. Mushroom barley soup uses simple ingredients such as; veggies, pearl barley, and mushrooms.
Secrets For a Delicious Mushroom Barley Soup
- When making this delicious recipe, use enough mushrooms if possible to mix other varieties. You can use about 11/2 pounds of mushrooms white mushrooms and baby Bella mushrooms. You can use dry mushrooms for this recipe but you need to soak them to soften for like 20 minutes inside water.
- Chop and slice your mushrooms for better flavor. You can prepare the mushrooms by slicing them which gives the barley soup tastes so delicious.
- Use aromatic and warm spices to add more flavors to this recipe. Add garlic, celery, chopped onions, and carrots to spice up your barley soup. You can add warm spices like cumin, smoked paprika, and coriander gives this recipe a great one.
Ingredients Variations For Mushroom Barley Soup
- Mushrooms: You can use two types of mushrooms in this recipe as baby bell mushrooms and white mushrooms. The baby bell is simply sliced and sauteed in extra olive oil while the white mushrooms are chopped into small pieces which adds flavors to the broth.
- Onions, garlic, carrots, and celery: These veggies are sauteed in olive oil to begin the flavoring process, then add the chopped white mushrooms to this mix.
- Extra virgin olive oil: You can use extra virgin olive oil in this recipe.
- Canned crushed tomatoes
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 2 hours 15 minutes
Total time: 2 hours 30 minutes
Serving: 8 serving
Ingredients For This Recipe
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 11/4 cups pearl barley
- 3 quarts chicken or mushroom stock
- 6 dried shitake mushrooms
- 1 cup peeled and chopped carrots
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 ib white mushrooms, scrubbed and sliced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin oil, divided
- 2 bay leaves
Read also: Egg Foo Young Recipe: Easy and Simple
Equipment Needed For This Recipe
- Coffee filter
- Large stockpot
- A timer
- A small saucepan
Method of Preparation
Step 1: Firstly, pour out mushroom stock or pour chicken into a large stockpot and bring it to a boil. Then stir in your barley, add the bay leaves, then reduce your heat and simmer without covering your stockpot. Set your timer for 2 hours 15 minutes starting from this moment.
Step 2: As your soup simmers, place your dried mushrooms in a separate saucepan. Then add 3 cups of water to it and bring to a boil over high heat. When your water boils, remove your saucepan from heat and allow your mushroom to soak for about 20minutes.
Step 3: Now, drain your mushroom water with a coffee filter, and reserve your mushroom water. Then chop and soak, soften mushrooms into small pieces and keep aside.
Step 4: In a large skillet, heat over medium heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add your onion to the oil and saute till it gets softened. When it gets softened, add your celery and also your carrots and saute for more than 5 minutes till everything starts to caramelize and brown.
Step 5: Now, add your soaked chopped dried mushroom pieces and your crushed garlic, saute for about 2 minutes. Scrape up any brown bits from the bottom of the skillet. Then pour your drained mushroom broth into the skillet and bring to a boil, stir and cook for 2 more minutes till your mixture is hot and bubbly.
Step 6: Then add everything on your skillet to the simmering stockpot with the broth and barley. Now heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat without rinsing the skillet, tilting to coat the bottom of the pan. Spread half of the sliced white mushrooms in a single layer at the bottom of the skillet.
Step 7: Sprinkle them with pepper and salt to taste and increase your heat to high. Allow the mushrooms to sear without stirring. When it gets to 2 minutes, stir up your mushrooms continuously for about 2 minutes until they are seared golden brown and shrink to about half their size.
Step 8: Pour out your seared mushrooms into the soup pot. Heat the last 1 tablespoon of olive oil in the skillet and repeat the process for the remaining mushrooms aside. Add in the rest of your seared mushrooms to the soup pot, and stir till all your ingredients are well combined.
Step 9: Then reduce your heat and allow it to simmer without your soup being covered till your timer goes off or until the barley is completely tender and the soup is nicely thickened. If your soup becomes thicker add water to it. Season with salt and pepper to taste and then serve hot.
Read also: Raspberry Sauce Recipe
Can Mushroom Barley Soup be Refrigerated?
The mushroom barley soup can be refrigerated for up to 4 days. But before freezing be sure your soup is completely cooled before transferring it to an airtight glass container to the fridge. When ready to use, reheat over medium heat, adding a little more broth to help the consistency of the soup.
Mushroom Recipes Ideas
- chicken and mushroom
- mushroom pasta
- For this recipe use pearl barley because it doesn’t cook quicker.
- If you want an even more delicious finish, add in another pinch of smoked paprika for more flavors.
Vitamin A: 2745IU / Vitamin C: 4.3mg
Calories: 327 / Fiber: 6g
Fat: 10g / Cholesterol: 10mg
Saturated Fat: 3g / Carbohydrates: 42g
Protein: 14g / Sugar: 8g
Sodium: 535mg / Potassium: 756mg
Iron: 1.8mg / Calcium: 34mg
Mushroom barley soup is a very delicious soup made with some veggies and mushrooms. This meal is very delicious, filling, and very healthy for you. You can serve it as dinner. Leftover can be stored in the refrigerator for about 4 days in an airtight glass and it can be frozen because they are no cream added to this recipe. To make this delicious and filling soup, follow this recipe step by step and yours will be mouthwatering.